Malaysian Employment Pass



Overseas citizens who wish to work in Malaysia will require a Malaysian work visa. To obtain a work visa, you should find an employer in Malaysia who is keen to recruit you. If you desire to work in a Malaysian corporation or company in a specialized and high-skilled post, you will require a Malaysia Employment Pass. The Employment Pass is a kind of work permits which the Malaysian government provides. Prior you can obtain an Employment Pass for Malaysia, your company should gain consent from an authorized body to recruit you.

Kinds of Malaysia Employment Passes and Settings

There are three kinds of Employment Passes for Malaysia, reliant on your position and salary.

Employment Pass Class 1: It contains crucial job positions in an organization, such as managers, CEOs, technical or managing directors, project directors etc.

  • You should have a salary of minimum RM10,000 per month.
  • You should have a work agreement of up to five years.
  • The Employment Pass can be renewed.
  • You are permitted to recruit an Overseas Domestic Assistant.

Employment Pass Class 2: It contains executive and specialized posts in an organization, such as a marketing or investment executive, faculty members, directors, designers, etc.

  • You should have a salary amid RM5,000 and RM9,999 per month.
  • You should have a work agreement of up to two years.
  • The Employment Pass can be renewed.
  • You are permitted to recruit an Overseas Domestic Assistant.

Employment Pass Class 3: It contains non-managerial posts in an organization that need momentous work knowledge and specific practical or applied skills. For instance, designers (fashion, engineering, equipment), artisans, food technicians, etc.

  • You should earn amid RM3,000 and RM4,999 per month.
  • You should have a work agreement of up to two years.
  • The Employment Pass can be renewed.
  • You are permitted to recruit an Overseas Domestic Assistant

Who is Qualified for a Malaysia Employment Pass

To be eligible for a Malaysia Employment Pass, you should come across the following necessities:

  • You should have an appropriate academic background mandatory for the job.
  • You should have a minimum of three years of related work knowledge. If your academic backgrounds are smaller, you may need extra years of relevant work knowledge.
  • You should work in an executive, executive or practical position which needs particular skills.
  • You should encounter the obligatory salary necessities.
  • You should not take up a job in a sector which is considered constrained.

How to Apply

As an overseas worker, you do not have to apply for your Employment Pass. It is your company who submits the appeal on your behalf in Malaysia, prior you travel. The procedure of gaining a Malaysian Employment Pass is alienated into two portions:

  • Your company has to appeal approval to recruit you via the Expatriate Committee (EC) or additional authorized approval bureau. This method is recognized as applying for an Expatriate Post.
  • When the Expatriate Post appeal is permitted, your company has to submit the Employment Pass Malaysia appeal at the Immigration Department of Malaysia.

Appealing for Expatriate Post

Reliant on your occupation, your company has to apply for the Expatriate Post at one of the resulting government-permitted agencies:

  • The Malaysian Industrial Development Authority (MIDA) for the areas of production and service area.
  • The Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC) for the technology area.
  • The Central Bank of Malaysia (BNM) for the sectors of finance, insurance, and banking.
  • The Malaysian Biotechnology Corporation (BiotechCorp) for the area of biotechnology.
  • The Securities Commission (SC) for the area of securities and futures market.
  • The Expatriate Committee (EC) for areas further than the ones stated above.
    • The Expatriate Committee functions under the Immigration Department of Malaysia.

When the Expatriate Committee or alternative authorized bureau has permitted your employer’s appeal to recruit you, your employer should apply for your Employment Pass.

Appealing for the Employment Pass

Your company has to submit the Employment Pass appeal in the Employment Pass Division of the Immigration Department of Malaysia. They have to file the petition by mail or in-person. When your company applies for the Employment Pass, they should submit the following supportive documents:

  • Employment Pass appeal form.
  • Passport size photo of you, meeting the Malaysia photo necessities.
  • A photocopy of your passport.
    • Your passport should be legal for a minimum of extra six months from the date you aim to enter. In any situation, your Employment Pass cannot be lengthier than the legitimacy of your passport.
    • If you are from the PRC, contain two photocopies of your valid passport.
  • Letter of approval for Expatriate Post from the relevant authority body.
  • Letter of Authorization from the employer to apply.
  • Your Employment Agreement or a Job Offer and Acceptance Letter.
  • Your resume and photocopies of your qualifications and certificates.
  • A photocopy of your company’s profile from the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM).

The Malaysia Employment Pass processing time is three working days.

Reaching in Malaysia (Malaysian Visa With Reference)

A Visa With Reference (VDR) signifies that you had to obtain permission from the Immigration Department of Malaysia (i.e. the Employment Pass) prior the Malaysian Embassy in a foreign country could provide you with a visa. The VDR is simply an entrance visa delivered to overseas citizens who are travelling for long-term determinations, such as for work or studying. Maximum foreign citizens who wish to travel to Malaysia for work should apply for a Malaysian Visa With Reference. You are exempted from owning a VDR only if you are from one of the following nations:

Antigua and Barbuda













Guinea Republic














New Zealand

Papua New Guinea

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines


San Marino



Solomon Islands

South Africa





Trinidad and Tobago


United Kingdom


Western Samoa





If you are a citizen of the nations stated above, you can enter Malaysia without a Visa With Reference, only with your Employment Pass permission letter.

You have to apply for a Malaysia Visa With Reference at the closest Malaysian Embassy. When you reach in Malaysia, you should be present in person at an Immigration Bureau and submit your passport as well as Employment Pass fee. The Immigration Officials will attach an Employment Pass stamp on your passport, recommending your stay, and issue you with an expatriate card.

Bringing Family Members to Malaysia with an Employment Pass

As a Malaysia Employment Pass owner, you are permitted to bring your family members with you, except you are a Class 3 Employment Pass bearer. Malaysia Employment Pass owners (Class 1 and 2) can bring the following family associates via a Dependent’s Pass or a Long Stay Social Visit Pass:

  • Spouse (husband and wife)
  • Children under 21 years of age

The Dependent’s Pass owner can join their family associate in Malaysia, but they are not permitted to work, except they change their Dependent Pass to an Employment Pass. The Long Stay Social Visit Pass owner can visit their family associate in Malaysia for a temporary period.

Share this Article
Facebook Google+ Twitter